It has been a long while since I dine at Lei Garden. Because of a gathering with ex-colleague, I got that opportunity. After so many years, the Lei Garden at CHIJMES is still at the same unit with the classy, elegance decoration, classic of Chinese Restaurant.
Some of the name of the dishes, I might not have gotten it correctly as I didn’t order them.
A combo set consisting of a soup, Barbecued Peking Duck and the Fried Udon with Lobster was part of our lunch. I have forgotten to a picture of the soup. All these dishes were outstanding. Everyone enjoyed all the 3 dishes but personally, I felt there is some room for improvement for the peppery Fried Udon. It could be better.
Barbecued Peking Duck
Fried Udon with Lobster
A worthwhile combo set to be ordered.
Lei Garden Restaurant Singapore serve a standard fare of Dim Sum. Among the list, we tried 5 of them.
Steamed shrimp dumplings
BBQ Pork Rice Roll
Rice Roll with Prawn
Pan-fried turnip cakes with home made XO sauce
All were exceptional with the Rice Roll a little too bland.
At every Cantonese restaurant similar to Lei Garden, Barbecued or Roast Meat are an important fare and it is definitely a must order. Among the signature Barbecued Favourites, we went for Crispy Roasted Pork.
Crispy Roasted Pork
This is certainly one of the best. Slightly briny to enhance the taste, crispy skin, tender, succulent meat with yet minimal of fatty. Bear in mind, I am not a Roast pork fan, yet double thumbs up from me.
I have no idea what’s the name of this dish is. Basically, the ingredients were diced and stirred fried in some dark sauce. And you will wrap these ingredients in the lettuce provided by the side.
I am not impress at this dish at all. It tasted like some frozen vegetables and fish cake with frozen pork. This dish certainly need lots of improvisation.
Finally, before ending our meal, it was dessert time. I was handed a dessert menu, I didn’t do a count but estimated to be about a dozen of desserts. Mainly were the common desserts since in Chinese Restaurant. None of us ordered any fanciful or extraordinary desserts.
Home-made Almond Sweetener with Egg White
Chinese Herbal Jelly
Chilled Mango Sweetener with Grapefruit and Sago
My choice as usual was the Mango Pomelo with Sago which they termed as “Chilled Mango Sweetener with Grapefruit and Sago”. It was enjoyable.
Verdict and NAHMJ Pick
After so many years, Lei Garden still hold on to their standard. Food was still as good as the past.
NAHMJ would say, don’t miss out on the Crispy Roast Pork, the soup in the combo set. For the dim sum, Savoury Dumpling is the must have. And perhaps Pan-fried turnip cakes with home made XO sauce and the Steamed Prawn Dumpling. The combo set is certainly a good choice.
Lei Garden Restaurant Singapore
30 Victoria Street, #01-24 Chijmes, Singapore
Tel: +65 6339 3822
Daily 1130 to 1500, 1800 to 2300
- East-West line or North East line – City Hall station
- Circle line – Bras Basah station
- alight at Cathedral of Good Shepherd along Victoria Street 130, 133, 145, 197, 851, 960
- alight after CHIJMES along Victoria Street 2, 12, 33, 147, 190
- alight at NTUC Income along Bras Basah Road 7, 14, 14e, 16, 36, 77, 106, 111, 131, 162, 162M, 167, 171, 175, 502, 518, 700, 700A, 857
- alight at Hotel Grand Pacific along Victoria Street 2, 7, 12, 32, 33, 51, 61, 63, 80
- alight at Stamford Centre along Hill Street 124,147, 166, 174, 174e, 190
- alight at Capitol Building along Stamford Road 7, 14, 16, 36, 77, 106, 111, 131, 162, 162M, 167, 171, 175, 700, 700A, 857, 971E
- alight at St Andrew Cathedral along North Bridge Road 61, 124, 145, 166, 174, 197
- alight opp Penisular Centre along North Bridge Road 32, 51, 63, 80, 195, 851, 961