Instead of making the popular Ondeh Ondeh Cake. What we have here is a variant which I termed it as Gula Melaka Infused Grated Coconut With Panda Cake.
In this cake, we tried to give is a spin. With have 2 different types of cake texture in the cake; a dense bottom layer and a sponge top layer. We used cream cheese frosting to finish the look. If you prefer, you can use butter cream or fresh cream or even Gula Melaka infused Chantilly Cream.
100g self raising flour (sifted)
90g unsalted butter
Pure Pandan juice extract 20ml (if don’t have can use 1tsp Pandan paste)
50ml coconut milk
1. Cream the butter and sugar till light and creamy.
2. Slowly add in the egg.
3. Add in Pandan juice extract.
4. Add half the amount of coconut milk follow by half of the flour. Then add in the balance coconut milk and flour. Ensure no lump.
5. Preheat oven at 180degree. Bake for 20 to 25mins.
6. Set aside to cool.
3 egg yolk
40ml coconut milk
35ml oil (I used olive oil)
15g corn flour
1/4 tsp salt
Pure Pandan juice extract
20ml (if don’t have can used 1tsp Pandan paste)
3 egg white
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Mix the egg and sugar together.
2. Follow by coconut milk and oil.
3. Fold in the flour.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg white.
5. Add in the cream of tartar when you see bubbles.
6. Slowly add in the sugar in three portions.
7. Whisked till soft peak.
8. Fold into the egg batter.
9. Preheat oven at 160degree. Bake for 20-25mins
300g gula Melaka (chopped into small pieces)
5 pieces of Pandan leaves
1. Boil the all the ingredients together in till the gula Melaka melted.
2. Set aside to cool and ready for use.
150g Fresh grated coconut (add a pinch of salt into the coconut)
1. Toasted 50g of coconut (can use the oven or fried over the stove)
2. 100g coconut mix with some gula Melaka.
3. Keep in the fridge for later use.
Cream cheese frosting
300g cream cheese (room temperature)
80g butter (room temperature)
100g icing sugar
500g non-dairy cream
3 tbsp of gula Melaka syrup
1. Whisk the non-dairy cream till soft peak
2. In another bowl cream the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar till smooth and creamy.
3. Fold in the whisked non-diary cream
4. Add in gula Melaka syrup
Assemble the cake
1. Brush some gula Melaka on the cake.
2. Spread a layer of cream cheese frosting.
3. Drizzle some gula Melaka.
4. Add the gula Melaka coconut
5. Add in the next layer of layer.
6. Cover the cake with the rest of the cream cheese frosting.
7. Decorate the cake to your liking. Use the balance coconut to decorate the cake.